Cycling Jackets(596 Products)
Cycling jackets for men & women
The old saying goes: “There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing” and we’d have to agree. As with all outdoor sports, if you’ve got the right kit on you can stay out and enjoy your ride whatever the weather throws your way! It’s unsurprising then, that every cyclist’s wardrobe should include a good bike jacket.
The right cycling jacket for every ride
There’s a different type of bike jacket for every use:
- For windy hillclimbs you’ll need a light windbreaker jacket that packs down small. Once on the summit, a windbreaker provides sufficient protection against cooling down and leaves you to enjoy the trip back down
- If you don’t want to take a jacket along on a summer ride, you wind vests or gilets are a great alternative. A gilet will keep your chest and torso warm – and replaces the classic newspaper, which the professionals used to stuff under their jersey for added insulation!
- If the weather changes and you can’t avoid having to a ride through a sudden rainfall a good raincoat is indispensable. How long a rain jacket can withstand a downpour depends on the quality
- Winter rides require much stronger insulation. In the cold season, thermal jackets are highly recommended. These jackets keep you riding in minus temperatures. If you’re looking for something in between a gilet and a full-on thermal jacket, you’ll find many combi-models with removable sleeves available on the market.
Comfortable & protected cycling
Some might wonder if a cycling jacket is really necessary. There are some cyclists who do without special bicycle clothing. They are usually casual riders who use their bikes to travel to work or to see friends – not for sport. However, riders who enjoy long cycling tours swear by good bicycle wear. A cycling jacket is designed so that it doesn’t interfere with the cyclist’s ride whilst keeping him or her warm and protected. It should be cut in such a way that it fits snugly against the body – providing no extra surface for the wind to catch, whilst still providing unrestricted freedom of movement. Many riders almost forget they’re wearing a bike jacket. The thin fabrics are so light on the body that they are almost imperceptible. Nevertheless, they’re dense enough to prevent the wind and cold from penetrating.
Buying a bike jacket
If you’d like to buy a cycling jacket there are a few factors you need to take into account:
- Fit: try on the bike jacket and check whether it sits comfortably on your body and isn’t cramped. Although it’s intended to fit closely to your body in order to avoid air resistance, it shouldn’t be so tight that you can’t move. Otherwise, it’ll suck the joy out of riding
- Materials: Cycling jackets are made of artificial fibres such as polyamide or polyester. Is it windproof and warm? If the jacket is meant to be waterproof, make sure that the material used is water-repellent yet still breathable. It makes no sense to remain dry on the outside whilst you’re condensation and sweat -soaked on the inside!
- Cut: Many good bike jackets are also cut a bit longer at the back. This protects the kidneys during rides and ensures that any water or mud spray from the rear wheel don’t soil what you’re wearing underneath your jacket
- Features: Added features such as hoods, reflective elements, storage solutions like pockets, easy fastenings etc should all be considered. Is the hood designed to prevent the visibility of traffic in the rain? Many jackets have hoods with special cords which, when the head is turned, ensure that the hood does not slip over the field of view. This considerably reduces the risk of accidents
- Style: You should also like the way the jacket looks. There’s no point in buying a jacket if you don’t end up wearing it as you don’t like the colour or style
Cycling jackets at bikester.co.uk
If you decide to buy a bike jacket, you have two options. Either take the long route and search through various specialist shops for the right one, or simply sit in front of your computer and browse our well-organised and extensive selection of cycling jackets at bikester.co.uk. More and more cyclists are discovering the advantages of online shopping; a larger selection, simple price comparisons and easy delivery options.
Mo - Fr: 10am to 4pm
We welcome your comments and suggestions.