All E-Bike Categories
E-Bikes – Modern bikes for all cyclists
Modern e-bikes are comfortable, convenient and reliable. Boasting innovative and stylish designs, these bikes are far removed from the unattractive and clunky models of yesteryear. With lighter, more-discreet components and more powerful than ever before, e-bikes are now available in almost all styles from city bikes to touring bikes, road bikes and mountain bikes. In addition, different performance levels and functions are available, meeting the requirements of all types of riders. We’re confident you’ll find the right electric bike to suit your needs from our great range at bikester.co.uk
What types of e-bikes are available?
Let’s have a closer look at the two different types of e-bikes available: pedal-assisted (aka pedelecs) and ‘power on command.’
Pedelecs are e-bikes that require you to pedal before the motor kicks in and assists you – meaning you can’t just sit on the bike and relax whilst steering, and that the bike won’t move without you pedaling. Because pedelecs require you to pedal, they are still legally classified as conventional bikes. Most modern, commercially-available e-bikes are pedelecs and don’t require a driving license, insurance or the wearing of a helmet.
Power on Command e-bikes are equipped with a motor that the rider can control via a throttle. With this type of e-bike, you don’t have to pedal to get the benefit of the motor. These bikes are less common and are classified (legally) differently.
Let’s focus on pedelecs, as these are the most common and popular e-bikes available on the market today.
Pros of the Pedelec
- Get fit: It’s a widely-believed myth that e-bikes do all the work for you. This simply isn’t true. Most models are pedal assist, meaning they augment whatever power you produce when pedaling. You can choose to ride at a leisurely pace or go faster – but a cardio work-out is still perfectly possible!
- Earth-friendly: E-bikes put out zero harmful emissions, making them one of the most environmentally-friendly travel options out there
- Commute in style: Get to the office quicker and without arriving a sweaty mess
- Explore new places: Riding an e-bike helps you to travel further than you could on a traditional bike, so you can explore further afield than ever before
- Lighten your load: Chores and grocery shopping are much easier with an e-bike
- Save £££s: Riding an e-bike doesn’t require a special license, registration or insurance. Set up, investment and operating costs are minuscule compared to owning and running a car
- Ride safer: E-bikes aren’t able to go nearly as fast as cars (in the UK, e-bikes are limited by law to only providing power assistance up to 15 mph/24kph) and taking bike paths keeps you out of the way of cars and large vehicles – reducing the likelihood you’ll have an accident involving one
Features to consider
Consider your needs – for example, if you’re looking to buy an e-bike for carrying goods short distances, you’ll want to prioritise load-bearing ability over a long-lasting battery. Some other things to consider include:
- A high-quality battery: a good Li-ion battery offers proven safety and good range
- A slimline design with sleek battery integration
- Weight: the heavier an e-bike is, the harder it is to handle and push
- Walk Mode/Push Assist: this makes pushing your bike a lot easier when you aren’t riding it (especially up hills and steps!)
- High-performance components for sport such as Shimano gears (for smooth shifting), hydraulic disc brakes (which offer unbeatable stopping power) and front suspension forks (which absorb vibrations and improve bike stability)
- Frame material and geometry: makes a huge difference to ride comfort and performance
E-bikes at bikester.co.uk
Here at bikester.co.uk we carry a great range of e-bikes for cyclists of all shapes and sizes. Check out our selection from the comfort of your own home, with models from Cube, FOCUS, Giant, HAIBIKE, Hollandia, Orbea, Ortler, Serious and Vermont. We offer quick shipping, hassle-free returns and handy price comparison.