Electric Mountain Bikes Are The Future
Here at Bikester, we offer you the full range of options when it comes to bikes and e-bikes. We know that everyone is different and enjoys different aspects of hitting the open road or dirt track.
The mountain e-bike certainly sparks some debate amongst avid cyclists. Especially those mountain bikers who've enjoyed the gravel, dirt and forests with no electric assistance for years. Purists may argue that you should leave a good sport alone and adding the e-bike element to the MTB world is cheating somehow. If that's you, remember that here at Bikester we've got a whole array of MTBs that you will love to take for a spin.
If you are looking for an electric mountain bike, it's key to remember that an e-bike often makes the sport more accessible. Even if you're a seasoned mountain biker, it can be amazing to have the option of electric assistance, so you can cover more ground and ride for longer.
Why buy an electric mountain bike?
It's a good question. Let's lay out some of the main benefits of an electric mountain bike so that you can make up your own mind.
The growing popularity of e-bikes is a huge and exciting development in the cycling world. If you've never ridden on an e-bike, mountain bike, or otherwise, it's an amazing feeling to try one out.
As mountain bikers, we enjoy everything about riding normal mountain bikes — the freedom, the exercise, the skill — yet we can't deny that e-MTBs hold a particular allure.
Electric-assisted mountain bikes don't simply pedal for you, they offer a little extra power to help you up those slopes. It's certainly a totally different experience than regular mountain biking, but it's still incredible. It's hard to compare the two.
Benefits of electric-assisted MTBs
- They're faster: This is the most obvious point and definitely enough of a reason to try an e-mountain bike. It's possible to ride at higher speeds whilst putting in less energy. For the speed-freaks amongst you, this will certainly appeal.
- More accessible: Say, for example, that you love going out mountain biking but wish that you could go with your less-experienced friends or family. If they're on an e-bike, they will instantly find the ride easier and more enjoyable. And the bikes are limited to certain speeds, so you won't have to worry about your kids getting out of control.
- Enjoy your surroundings: The possibility of gazing at the beautiful countryside around you a little more is enough to justify an e-bike. Obviously, don't take your eyes off the road too much, but you'll be amazed at what you'll be able to take in when you're not huffing and puffing to the same degree.
- More stability: An e-mountain bike will be a little bit weightier than a similar-sized normal mountain bike. Most adventure e-bikes come equipped with mid-drive electric motors, found within the bike’s bottom bracket area. Batteries are generally located on the down tube. This means that the weight is centralised, giving the bike a low centre of gravity. This adds real stability, particularly on descents.
- Change of perspective: It's always great to re-visit a much-loved sport or activity from a different angle. You'll find that it's a whole new experience riding on e-mountain bikes. The added speed, range, and the ability to cover more ground all accentuate the sport to the maximum.
These are just some of the benefits of electric bikes when comparing them to their counterparts. It's not that one is better than the other — they are totally different experiences. The electric gravel bikes, hardtails, and full suspension electric mountain bikes on offer here at Bikester give you the option to expand your horizons out on the track.
Accessories and parts
It's important to have the accessories you need when riding on an e-bike. Having a sufficient number of batteries and electric bike chargers is key, to ensure you never get caught without charge.
Check out our stock for a range of e-bike lights, chains, e-bike tyres, and more — everything e-bike-related that you could ever need is here at Bikester. It's also important to have specific suspension forks for e-mountain bikes. They'll often have specific features like a custom damper and an air-sprung tune. This compensates for the different ways an e-MTB will be ridden when compared with a standard one.
Cutting edge technology
The era of e-bikes is one of the most exciting developments in the cycling world because of the options it offers, especially to people who may not have been as keen to ride before. It's certainly a unique and exciting experience and gives a whole new form of freedom to riders.
We hope you've benefited from this e-bike guide and are excited at the opportunity to take out an electric mountain bike for a spin. The fact that they're electric-assisted means they can easily double up as your weekday commuter and city bike too, whereas a standard MTB wouldn't work in the city due to its weight and suspension.
If you have any questions or want to know about a specific bike or brand, don't hesitate to get in touch with a member of the knowledgeable Bikester staff.